Kyoto


Kyoto is a Japanese old city. I have been there twice and for 12 days in total. I always want to write something about it. But to be honest, I did not do it for two reasons. The first is my laziness, the other reason is that Kyoto is hard to describe.
I believe there must be huge amounts of people who are obsessed with Kyoto. I also consider these Kyoto fanatics have various reasons for why they love it so much. Someone for Kyoto’s history and culture, someone for its beautiful scenery, someone for shedloads of ancient architecture. Maybe most of them love its atmosphere, from my perspective which is a combination of these three things.

 But as for atmosphere that is a so abstract conception. We consider Kyoto as an ancient, tranquil place where is filled with authentic Japanese culture, beautiful scenery, famous attractions and historical sites. However there are lots of similar places in Japan even in the other place of the world, in other words, these characters of Kyoto are not unique. For instance, I see pictures of Bath, England and, Montreal, Canada. I also get the same impression or trait of two cities as well as Kyoto. Meanwhile, we should not forget that the Kyoto station and most attractions are extremely overcrowded. The ancient Japanese city is not always quiet and peaceful as we expect.

I admit I love Kyoto and I consider visiting it one more time even though I have no special sentimental value about Kyoto. To answer why I love it so much, the reasons are tiny things. The easy way and less costly to get the joyfulness of natural daily life.
The tiny thing in life can make a great influence on us. Kyoto is a place full of different tiny things that can cheer up people who live here. Public transportation is always punctual include both bus and subway, tidy street, vending machine, convenience store, boutique, cafe, traditional restaurant are everywhere. All those merits make life easier and happier. It’s not about tourism and attractions, it is just about daily life and peace of mind.
I give more details to describe life in Kyoto. During my brief 12days’ stay in it, I rent a traditional Japanese house in Airbnb.  I got off the train at Kyoto station(a very crowded place)took a bus to my accommodation, just like a college student going home after a whole semester. And the house is in the deep lane which is totally insulated from the outside world. I bought mineral water from a dispenser in the street, then entered the house, throwing my backpack, taking a shower. One hour later I went to the 24 hours supermarket just opposite my house and bought some food there. With the material I bought in a market I made a nice meal for myself. And 2 days later, I even knew which is the best beef or which sauce is sweeter in that supermarket. All in all, everything here is cheap and cheerful with great convenience.
Night cycling and public bath is another tiny surprise. I mean once in a while I was riding a bicycle and just roaming around Kyoto street. I entered a famous spring (public bath Japanese also called Onsen) which Google map told me. The most amazing and joyful things are riding a bike back to our accommodation after taking a bath. You felt every bone in your body was stretching which is so refreshing feeling. The street is tilting down which is built with small rocks, which means I do not need to step bicycle pedal. I feel like I was gliding to where I came from. The quiet street was extending, the breeze was blowing, the starry sky was shining.
I consider I should stop since these things I mentioned are so tiny, actually, it is too personal and emotional. But the micro reality can reflect the macro world, and more ever it is one of a method to describe Kyoto.

Comments

Popular Posts